Researched & Written by Anita Fonseca
Saffron is a spice derived from the flower of Crocus Sativus, commonly known as the “saffron crocus”. The vivid crimson stigmas and styles, called threads, are collected and dried to be used mainly as a seasoning and colouring agent in food. Here are the 12 benefits of Saffron:
- Antidepressant: Saffron helps you during the depressed phase of life and keeps you in a happy and elevated mood. Saffron brings cheerfulness and wisdom in your body.
- Maintenance of blood circulation: Saffron contains potassium and other vital nutrients which help in regularizing your pulse rate and keeping it normal, so your blood pressure is at its optimum best as also your haemoglobin level. Saffron also improves blood circulation and hence you can avoid kidney stones. It also helps to keep your cholesterol levels low.
- Beauty enhancer: Saffron as a beauty product is very often used for face masks and hair care. A little saffron mixed with milk and massaged on your face for some time and washed off after 10 minutes gives you glowing skin. Saffron rids you of acne and blemishes and gives you clear skin on regular basis. It improves the texture of your skin and makes it smooth. Saffron prevents hair loss. Soak saffron in milk and apply the paste to your hair before you shampoo. It helps in curing baldness and alopecia.
- Analgesic: Saffron is effective in relieving you of pains (gout or arthritis).
- Anti-cancerous spice: Saffron is known to cures different kinds of cancers. It destroys cancerous mass. Hence saffron holds great promise as a spice_ way to good health and no relapses.
- Eye-care: Saffron helps in preventing retinal degeneration, cures permanent blindness in young people. It prevents the vision cells from further damage as well as helps in slowing the course of blinding disease.
- Potential sleep inducer: Saffron acts as an aphrodisiac for those who face insomnia and puts them to sleep. So a glass of milk in the night with saffron will give you sound sleep.
- Brain development: Saffron helps to have a good memory and learning. It also helps the old from Alzheimer’s disease and helps in retaining their memory for many years. Saffron supplies adequate blood to the brain which helps the children with their studies and in their growing years.
- Coping breathing troubles: Saffron cures Asthma but you will have to consult your Doctor regarding how you can make good use of it for your illness.
- Good digestion: Saffron helps in digesting the food and rids you of ulcers in your digestive tract. When used in dishes, saffron adds aroma and taste to them.
- Other medicinal importance: Saffron has many medicinal properties and is present in anti-inflammatory creams and lotions. Saffron also removes scars caused by wounds. When mixed with milk and applied to various parts of your body, your skin improves in texture.
- Energy booster and anti-ageing effect: Even small quantity of Saffron can increase your energy levels. It is that good in improving your immunity to diseases and has many antioxidants that are beneficial in contending free radicals thereby helping in the prevention of disease and promotion of good health. Put a few strands of saffron in milk and have it on a regular basis for instant energy.
So, one glass of milk with saffron daily is a dose to good health forever.